Choosing a Pet
How do I pick the right breed for my family?
For some useful hints and tips look at the PHC leaflet, ‘Choosing a Pet’. Here are some of the main points to think about:
- Before deciding which type of pet to buy, you need to think about your lifestyle and how a pet would fit into your daily routine.
- If you’re out all day, or keep irregular hours, a cat is a better choice than a dog.
- Choose a pet that will reflect your family’s personalities e.g. if you have exuberant children, make sure your pet is not timid.
- Check before you buy a dog how big it will be when it’s fully grown and choose a pet that will fit within your budget.
- Boarding kennels or catteries, veterinary bills, pet insurance, feeding and grooming are some of the costs you should bear in mind.
- Consider re-homing an older pet, whose character may be known and may already be trained.